Second DUI in PA
2nd DUI in PA inflicts much more severe punishment on the offender than the first offence, which depends on your BAC level. In PA, DUI penalties are grouped in to 3 tires based on the offender’s BAC level: Tire 1 (0.08% to 0.099%), Tire 2: (0.10% to 0.159%),Tire 3: (Highest BAC: 0.16% and up). Unlike with first offence, Tire 1 (General Impairment) second DUI in Pennsylvania may inflict a jail term and offenders are not eligible for the ARD program.
Tire 1: General Impairment (General Impairment
Criteria for tire 1:
- BAC 0.08% to 0.099% (General BAC, the offender is at least 21 years old) .
- No accident or property damage or injuries
- For drivers under 21 BAC should be 02% to 0.099%. Otherwise, the offence is qualified as tire 2.
- Punishment: fines between $300 and $2,500, 5 days to six months jail term, 1 year license suspension.
Tire 2: High Impairment
Criteria for tire 2:
- 0.10% to 0.159% (High BAC, for drivers 21 of age and older )
- 0.08% to 0.099% (General BAC, for drivers under 21)
- Accident, property damage or injuries with General BAC
- BAC .04 to 0.159% for commercial vehicle drivers
- BAC 0.02% to .159% for school bus drivers
- Punishment: fines between $1,500 and $5,000, 90 days to 5 years jail term, 1 year license suspension.
Tire 3: Highest Impairment
Criteria for tire 3:
- Highest BAC: 0.16% and up.
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Refusal to take chemical test (regardless of BAC).
- Punishment: fines $1,500 and $5,000, 30 days to six months jail term, 18 months license suspension.
Tire 3 second offence imposed the first degree misdemeanor conviction. In addition, the court may order that you use an ignition interlock device, for which you will pay from your own pocket. Another unpleasant bonus for 2 DUI’s in PA is being blacklisted by insurance companies and abandoned by your current insurer.
Auto Isurance After 2nd DUI
Whenever an insurer sees a DUI record in your driving history you are given penal points. As a rule,the points are compounded for repeated DUI offences. While even the first offence may double your premium with some companies for at least 2 years, you will most likely have to change insurer and shop around to find an policy affordable or even just accessible in your situation if you get caught drivng drunk for the second time. No one can tell you the exact rates if case of a second DUI, you need to request as many quotes and you can. Anyway, expect you premium to double.