Peculiarities of PA DUI Laws:
DUI laws vary fro state to state. In Pennsylvania, drivers should be aware about a number of peculiarities. We hope this information helps you to abstain from drunk driving in future and not commit DUI offences in PA.
- DUI Law system in PA includes a “per se” law applied to driving under the influence of drugs (DUI Drugs). This means that if a PA DUI offender has a measurable concentration of a certain drug, he or she will be punished in the same way as for having the Highest BAC.
- A DUI arrest in PA initiates two cases. The first one is conducted in the court, that is where attendance of alcohol education schools, jail terms and fines are imposed. The other, separate one is directed in Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDot) and generally results in suspension of driver’s license.
- PA Zero Tolerance Law: Under age drivers are arrested for DUI in PA if their BAC is 0.02%.
- Commercial drivers committing DUI in PA may suffer more severe that regular drivers as compared with other states. In addition to all the same penalties posed on all drunk drivers in PA by the law, drives from this category may have to search for new job or their current business may come to an end. The maximum allowable BAC for commercial drives is .04%, exceeding which automatically puts the offense into Tier 2.
- For drivers under 21 age, maximum allowable BAC for commercial drives is .02%, exceeding which automatically puts the offense into Tier 2.